George has worked at WEPM for over 10 years. His sports knowledge goes from High School all the way to the Pro's. You can expect a wide range of blog posts from George, as he likes almost every sport, so stay tuned.....
Please Note: The opinions, analysis, and/or speculation expressed on wepm.com represent those of individual authors, and unless quoted or labled as such do not represent the opinons or policies of Prettyman Broadcasting.
Top Stories of 2012
by George Pavlik,posted Dec 30 2012 4:47PM
Way I made this list up was the top 5 stories from the local ranks (high school and college). Then regional (DC and Baltimore). Followed by the top 5 national stories.
1. Martinsburg football 3-peats. Was there really a question this would not be number one? First time since Charleston did this feat from 1968-1970 in Triple-A. No question this is the number one local story of the year.
2. Denny Price retires. After a great coaching career and great season for the Appleman Denny Price sang his swan song.
3. Hedgesville Boys Basketball wins Triple-A crown.Since 1970 a basketball title has eldued the Eagles. But playing perfect basketball in the Carleston Civic Center, They brought one home
4. West Virginia moves to the Big XII. After being in the Big East since 1991 in football and the 1995-1996 season for basketball. The Mountaineers made the leap to the Big XII.
5.Hedgesville and Mussleman go to the state volleyball tournament. Any time a local team goe to a state tournament that deserves a top 5 slot. Region
1. Orioles nake the playoffs. For the first time in 15 years The Orioles had both a winning season and Playoff appearance. that to me is enough to earn the number one spot.
2. Strasburg shutdown. I still hold on to a belief that had he pitched in the NLDS they are moving on to the NLCS to take on the Giants.
3. RGIII and the REDSKINS.Making a Playoff push and the Redskins exciting. First time in a long time that has happened.
4. Ravens injuries. Reason i put this here is because many had them as a Super Bowl contender but with the injuries a first round playoff win would be very lucky.
5. Capitals season/playoffs. Looked like they would not get in.Instead went tot he second round and took the Rangers righ to the brink. Nation
1. Giants win the World Series. Reason i have this here. Giants had a tough regular season lost closer Brian Wilson to injury. Lost Melky Cabrera to performance enhancing drugs and the Dodgers bolstered there lineup. Giants ended up winning the division to spite that all by eight games. Then the playoffs. Went down 0-2 to the Reds and had to go into Cincinnati a place they NEVER win had to win 3 in a row and did so. Then went to St. Louis. Went down 1-3 and had to rely on a guy in Barry Zito that pretty much had robbed them blind from 2007 until October 19th. Where he pitched a GEM. And the Giants never lost again.As they beat the Cardinals in game 5 5-0 then went on to dominate the Cardinals in game 6 winning 6-1 and game 7 winning 9-0. Then onto the world Series they DOMINATED and when i say DOMINATED I am putting it lightly. A heavly favored Detriot Tigers was there foes in the World Series Giants swept them and trailed for a total of one inning. So if it is debated why that is my number one National story theres all my points.
2. Michael Phelps. Put on another great show as he always does in the Olympics. Dominating in the pool he earns my scond spot.
3. Kings win the Stanley Cup. An 8-seed that looked like they would not get to the playoffs got there and behind Jonathan Quick dominated the playoffs. Hockey maybe in lockout but cannot overlook what they did back in June.
4. Chuckstrong. I had that of Peyton Manning going to the Denver Broncos and being Peyton Manning at this spot. But seeing What the Colts have done and the tribute made for Chuck Pagano before this afternoons Colts-Texans game that is what stole my heart and got the 4-spot.
5. Peyton Manning being Peyton Manning. Came in with questions could he be that guy he was in Indy? Well if the Broncos win today then he got a one seed for the Broncos. I think that question was answered.
There is my top 15 stories of 2012. I hope you all had a good 2012 and a great 2013. Happy New Years!